logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Update on mapnik.txt typ file

From Joris Bo jorisbo at hotmail.com on Sun Mar 20 20:38:06 GMT 2022

Hello Ticker,

Thank you for your answer. I miss the knowledge to discuss the topic  properly, i assume you are right. In my simple brain typviewer or typwiz did not let me down in editing and converting txt to typ and back so far. For me all language codes and corresponding (special) characters stay correct as long if I used code page 65001 and save as utf-8. But again, i do not know what happens beyond the borders of my small (Windows/Basecamp/Oregon) bubble.

Could you help me to insert the missing icons in the current txt-format? The translations are less important I guess.

Kind regards,
Joris

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> Namens Ticker Berkin
Verzonden: vrijdag 18 maart 2022 18:59
Aan: Development list for mkgmap <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
Onderwerp: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Update on mapnik.txt typ file

Hi Joris

My opinion is that using TYPViewer to edit the the mkgmap held typ- files is too dangerous; it deletes language strings it can't cope with and makes textual changes that make it very difficult to see the actual difference between versions.

Unless TYPViewer supports and generates a unicode .typ file, there is no way having a full multi-lingual .typ. It needs to be kept as a .txt until the point of use, ideally letting mkgmap do the conversion. It can safely chuck translations that can't be represented in the chosen charset of the map.

See https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/typ-compiler

Concerning Default Descriptions and English (see Common options...
String= in above). I intended it to be like this, with a generic default description as the first string (tending to American English) and, if other languages have a translated string, having this with an explicit language. Including the idea that an explicit English string might be specified that will overrule the default.

Ticker