logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Update on mapnik.txt typ file

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Fri Mar 18 17:59:20 GMT 2022

Hi Joris

My opinion is that using TYPViewer to edit the the mkgmap held typ-
files is too dangerous; it deletes language strings it can't cope with
and makes textual changes that make it very difficult to see the actual
difference between versions.

Unless TYPViewer supports and generates a unicode .typ file, there is
no way having a full multi-lingual .typ. It needs to be kept as a .txt
until the point of use, ideally letting mkgmap do the conversion. It
can safely chuck translations that can't be represented in the chosen
charset of the map.

See https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/typ-compiler

Concerning Default Descriptions and English (see Common options...
String= in above). I intended it to be like this, with a generic
default description as the first string (tending to American English)
and, if other languages have a translated string, having this with an
explicit language. Including the idea that an explicit English string
might be specified that will overrule the default.

Ticker