logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style lines enhancements

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Jul 27 17:07:36 BST 2020

Hi all,

I have two reasons why I don't like to create routable ways for objects which are not meant to be routable ways:
1) Some mappers get it wrong and start to change OSM data to the worse because "mkgmap expects it like that"
2) If a routable way is not mapped as such or not connected correctly in OSM it should be fixed in OSM.

Besides I doubt that the additional ways help if you are on the car park and start to calculate a route. IIGTR It might tell you to walk around the car park instead of drawing a straight line to the next highway.

Von: Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com>
Gesendet: Montag, 27. Juli 2020 17:55
An: Gerd Petermann
Cc: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] default style lines enhancements

Gerd Petermann <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi Ticker,
>
> reg. car parks: In what scenario do the additional routable ways help?
> Do you think of a car driver who stops there and tries to calculate a
> pedestrian route to a place which is not yet in sight?
>
> Gerd

All a good discussion about OSM, but I wonder what mkgmap should do.  If
a person can reasonably walk places, the ways should be connected and if
not it is a map bug.  Those bugs as Ticker describes are relatively
frequent.

As I see it the real question is whether mkgmap should make assumptions
that certain ways are connected when they aren't connected in the
database.  The default behavior would be to just process what's there,
with the result that routing is sometimes not so great, in that it
leaves out things you actually can do.  But the most interesting such
things can' be guessed.