logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style lines enhancements

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Mon Jul 27 17:14:37 BST 2020

Gerd Petermann <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have two reasons why I don't like to create routable ways for objects which are not meant to be routable ways:
> 1) Some mappers get it wrong and start to change OSM data to the worse because "mkgmap expects it like that"

Didn't think of that but strongly agreed.

> 2) If a routable way is not mapped as such or not connected correctly in OSM it should be fixed in OSM.

Completely agreed and that's what I meant to say.

> Besides I doubt that the additional ways help if you are on the car
> park and start to calculate a route. IIGTR It might tell you to walk
> around the car park instead of drawing a straight line to the next
> highway.

What I meant is that foot routes like this are found

  https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_foot&route=42.46043%2C-71.35108%3B42.46162%2C-71.34935

but that's a case of correct OSM data, as it should be.

I think Ticker is saying that sometimes the footpath is joined to the
amenity=parking polygon, instead of the service road, and correct
routing does not magically jump over that gap.