logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to make a scale-dependent TYP style?

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Sun Apr 5 10:13:40 BST 2020

Hi

Without an override from a TYP file, Garmin devices have their own,
inbuilt, rules about how to render each object (point/line/polygon) and
these vary from device to device, so no, there isn't and cannot be a
tool to do what you asked.

If you are making a map just for your particular device, the best thing
to do is generate a map without a TYP and see how it looks, then tweak
just the minimum with specific TYP [_xxx] entries.

For my eTrex HCx, not having a TYP works really well for points and
lines.

My eTrex 30x doesn't show some non-road lines, or shows them in white
which was almost impossible to see, so I have these in my TYP.

There are problems in the way they renders overlapping polygon and the
order in which they overwrite each other as the device is finding them,
but this is another topic.

For both, apart from the above, I much prefer their default rendering
rather than, say, {distribution}/examples/typ-files/mapnik.txt which
also slows down the devices to an almost unusable speed.

Ticker