logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway=* with area=yes

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Apr 5 14:11:10 BST 2018

Hi all,

in Italy I found a lot of closed ways with e.g. highway=residential & area=yes, like here:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/48017634

I think they were created before area:highway=* was established and probably should be changed to that.
I wondered why the default style creates routable lines for them while
e.g. highway=pedestrian & area=yes is ignored for routing.
I assume the problem is that there are also ways like this:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/106220928
If that way would be ignored for routing the connection to the track is lost.

The major difference between the two samples is that there is a "real" highway=residential going through the 1st:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/34371138

Wouldn't it be good if mkgmap could detect this somehow?
For these ways around 48017634 this is quite difficult because the "real" highway is not even connected to the area way.