logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Ferry line routing issue

From 7770 7770 at foskan.eu on Wed May 31 16:59:59 BST 2023

Hi.
I can experience the same type of issues (or at least very similar) on my
GPSMAP 66st (handheld outdoor unit) when trying to take a ferry from the
Scandinavian peninsula to Europe.
I have seen some of the jumps (straight lines occasionally).

Here is some theory on the issue.

Examples for such issues are Karlskrona (south of sweden) to Gdynia (north of
Poland), or Stockholm to Helsinki. In those cases two the following can
happen.

When calculating for time, the unit may consider to drive around instead of
taking the ferry, the ferry entrance would just be a stop along the route but
the device would not consider taking the ferry, because it is presumed slower
than driving many 100 kilometers extra or it simply times out saying there is
no route possible to calculate.

If i instead select calculating for shorter distance, the ferry is often
considered and used by the route.

Anyhow, in the style file for lines, there are two entries for ferry lines:
route=ferry & (motorcar=no | motor_vehicle=no) [0x1b road_class=0 road_speed=0
resolution 23]
route=ferry [0x1a road_class=3 road_speed=0 resolution 19]

If the ferry routes are expected to take cars the road_class will be 3 and and
the road_speed 0, this road speed is so slow that the device will consider to
use a faster way instead of taking the ferry.

So, what i do to make it a greater chance that a ferry will be used when
routing for time, is that i have raised the road_speed to 1 for those two
lines, since it would also help for passenger ferries. I was tempted to raise
it to 2 but many ferries are too slow for road_speed 2.
This has somewhat improved routing scenarios in my case. It's not 100 %
perfect but much better than before.

I cant say it is exactly the problem that you see, but some idea.

Regards
Karl