logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Slightly Offtopic - Cycling Computers

From News news at pointdee.co.uk on Mon Jan 2 23:45:58 GMT 2023

I'm in the market for a new cycling computer so thought I'd ask on here
for opinions (good or bad) on the following....

My main interest is navigation. I'm not particularly bothered about
cadence sensors, power outputs etc and so I've come across the following....

Garmin Edge 530
Can anyone guarantee that maps created with mkgmap currently work on
this device. I discovered the mkgmap project when looking for a source
of free maps for Garmin devices as I think the policy of Garmin to
charge extra for maps on a GPS is insulting.
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/621224

Hammerhead Karoo 2
Pricier option but is well reviewed. I'm guessing proprietary maps but
it claims bi-monthly updates
https://www.uk.hammerhead.io/products/hammerhead-karoo-2

Mio Cyclo 215
Cheapest but I've never heard of them and so I'm wary
https://www.mio.com/en_gb/products/outdoors/cycling-navigation/cyclo-200-series/cyclo-215

I've already ruled out Wahoo but if anyone has any other alternatives or
comments I'm willing to listen

Thanks for reading and for any replies