logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sea 'bleeding' into land in northern France

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Fri Aug 5 18:02:10 BST 2022

Hi John

Adding to what Thorsten has written:

It can be impossible to reliably deduce what should be sea when just
using the coastline data from within an OSM area extract. The extract
area is expanded to be within a set of rectangular tiles and, as a
result of this, coastline data might just stop within a tile; coastline
is defined as having sea on one side and land on the other so having an
"end" renders this ambiguous.

mkgmap has various --generate-sea options to control what happens in
this situation, but all can fail given particular circumstances.

For this reason it is common for mkgmap map developers to use a world
representation for sea and mkgmap has the option to use this rather
than the extract coastline data (--precomp-sea=sea.zip) - see:

https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/options
 and
https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/download/mkgmap.html

Ticker