logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] test map

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu May 18 08:44:53 BST 2017

Hi all,

thanks for testing. My understanding is that we have two groups of devices,
one that understands or accepts the data in our gmapsupp, and another that
does not.

I see two possible explanations:
1) The data in the gmapsupp is wrong and some devices don't care / are able
to handle the error
while the others are not
2) One group uses a buggy / simple firmware which generally doesn't work
with special characters that
are expanded to two or more for sorting.

Maybe one of those who found the same problems as on my Oregon has an old
map
(not created with mkgmap) which they could try to find out if the device is
able to
find those characters? All the demo maps that I know seem to have incomplete
or broken
indexes, means, search on my Oregon fails with them as well, sometimes it
even crashes.

In the mean time I would try to code a read method that would allow us to
use exactly the
same SRT file as shipped with such a Garmin map just in case that the
problem is in the SRT file.

Gerd

nwillink wrote
> I mean gpsmap64
>

> On 17/05/2017 15:03, osm at pinns wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> tested this on gmapsup64 with latest firmware producing same results
>> as Oregon 600

>> Nick
>>

>> On 17/05/2017 09:56, Gerd Petermann wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've uploaded a small test map that shows the problem on my Oregon
>>> 600 with firmware 5.00:
>>> http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/download/353/gmapsupp.img
>>>
>>> Please test what your device shows when you search for
>>> a) all roads in city "Albertslund Kommune". On my Oregon the list
>>> contains many entries, esp. these
>>>
>>> Abildgården
>>> Æblets Kvt
>>> Alberts Have
>>> Alberts Vænge
>>> ... more with letter A
>>> b) all roads in city "Albertslund Kommune" starting with A. My Oregon
>>> shows only
>>> Abildgården
>>> I think It should show the above entries.
>>> c) all roads in city "Albertslund Kommune" starting with Æ. My Oregon
>>> says "No result found"
>>> d)all roads in city "Albertslund Kommune" starting with Ae. My Oregon
>>> says "No result found"
>>> e) all roads in city "Albertslund Kommune" starting with Al. My
>>> Oregon shows
>>> Alberts Have
>>> Alberts Vænge
>>> ... more with letters Al
>>> (good)
>>>
>>> Maybe try also to search for all roads in country Denmark starting
>>> with Ae or  Æ. My Oregon says "No result found".
>>> Let me know if you see the same results or not.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gerd