logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] inc/address and --housenumbers

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Apr 15 14:50:42 BST 2015

Hi Andrzej,

I read the cgpsmapper manual, if I got that right
the additional city names are only used in indexes,
and I assume that there is no limit in those structures,
so you are probably right, I don't have to split a road
because it is in different cities, I just have to pass the information
to the routines which build the indexes.

 @Steve:
If wonder if we should change the data structures for this.
Current code has the class MapElement with
these fields:
private String zip,country,region,city,street,phone,houseNumber,isIn;

If we change zip, country,region, and city to String[] arrays as with
String[] labels;
we will waste a lot of memory when almost of them contain a single
String reference.
On the other hand, we probably have many objects with identical
values in these fields.
I think we can use a dictionary for this.
The dictionary would contain one entry for each different combination of
the values and MapElement would contain an index to the dictionary entry.
I have to check that, but I think in the end we might safe memory with that.

Gerd