logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Solution to show transliterated name if no other ascii name exists

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Tue Jan 13 06:32:39 GMT 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:06:00PM +0000, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
>Hi
>
>>{ add mkgmap_int_name='${name|ascii:}' }
>
>This is now included in r3409.  There is no longer any need for
>the ':', so you can just write ${name|ascii}

Side note: In src/uk/me/parabola/imgfmt/app/labelenc/ there are two
implementations of the Transliterator interface: SparseTransliterator
and TableTransliterator. I see no references to Greek or Cyrillic in any
file in the whole directory. I guess we might try to do something
(Pinyin?) as Chinese transliteration, if the Java framework does not
already do that for us.

I wonder if the mkgmap transliteration is compatible with the
international standards, such as ISO 843 (Greek) and ISO 9 (Cyrillic).
Also national standards exist for Cyrillic transliteration.

Quoting a message by Χάρης Καραχριστιανίδης on the OsmAnd mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/osmand/7PTV_nOhNUw

"According to this link
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#Greece ISO
843:1999 should be followed for trancription of Greek Names. So for
example Βύρωνος ( don't know if you can read Greek letters) should be
Vyronos and not Buronos. As I can see almost all Greek streets are
wrongly transcribed."

	Marko