logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter r257

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Mon Dec 17 10:49:32 GMT 2012

> Felix Hartmann-2 wrote
>> Also I think most people will want --keep-complete by default, except if
>> overlap is >0
>
> I did not dare to make it the default, but I agree that most people will
> want it.

I'd support making it the default and even removing --overlap and
any of the overlap code.

Overlap is just an algorithm that doesn't lead to correct results
except if the overlap is large enough, the difficult bit is improving
on that without taking an unacceptable amount of time.

So your work creating an algorithm that is accurate and yet still
takes time in the same order of magnitude as the overlap method is
rather an achievement.

Overlap served us well for a time, but its going to get less and less
useful as file sizes get larger and there are more and more large
relations (which barely existed in the time of the first splitter).

Splitter doesn't have to support more than one algorithm (we can
always create old releases if really needed), but if it does the best
one that is most likely to lead to correct results should be the
default.

..Steve