logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter r257

From GerdP gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Dec 17 13:34:48 GMT 2012

Steve Ratcliffe wrote
>> I did not dare to make it the default, but I agree that most people will
>> want it.
>
> I'd support making it the default and even removing --overlap and
> any of the overlap code.
>
> Overlap is just an algorithm that doesn't lead to correct results
> except if the overlap is large enough, the difficult bit is improving
> on that without taking an unacceptable amount of time.
>
> So your work creating an algorithm that is accurate and yet still
> takes time in the same order of magnitude as the overlap method is
> rather an achievement.
>
> Overlap served us well for a time, but its going to get less and less
> useful as file sizes get larger and there are more and more large
> relations (which barely existed in the time of the first splitter).
>
> Splitter doesn't have to support more than one algorithm (we can
> always create old releases if really needed), but if it does the best
> one that is most likely to lead to correct results should be the
> default.

I already tried to make it the default, but I first have to understand the
code that evaluates the parameters. I did not find a simple way to
distinguish between "no parameter given"  and "keep-complete=false"
being used.

Removing overlap is not needed reg. code complexity, since it just means to
blow up a bbox. WanMil mentioned that it still might be needed to help his
process-destination algorithm, so I prefer to wait until that's clear .

Ciao,