logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Useful routable line types

From Geoff Sherlock geoffrey_sherlock at btinternet.com on Sun Dec 16 16:40:53 GMT 2012

Hi Minko,

When responding to your e-mail I realised a mistake in the lines style file
which throws everything out so I need to fix and re-work the test, hopefully
with some more expected results.

0x05 should be accurate though, and what I mean by  'Opposite direction to
that defined in JOSM only' is:

In the locally created map using JOSM all my test roads were created running
from north to south. But 0x05 in the test (which I usually use for tertiary
roads) was only routable south to north. For a automobile it would route
down another road further away if trying to go north to south, for a walker
it would show a dialog stating something like "Error: Failure to calculate
route". For both it would route from south to north.

As for the rest (essentially everything >= 0x0a [it was an exceedingly
menial task and instead of going from 0x00-0x1f my brain froze and went from
0x00-0x31]), this all needs reworking and I'll give the results either later
this evening or tomorrow. But preliminary results suggest there are many
routes which both show as expected in Basecamp (i.e. as defined in TYP file)
and are routable in both directions.

Note: initial tests are in Basecamp (and the odd confirmation in Mapsource)
only, I have done no testing on a device and do not expect to do so until I
have tested the first 64 codes (0x00-0x3f) in Basecamp. Additional test:
removing name attribute so I know what Garmin thinks the line type should
be.

All this has probably been done before somewhere, but it keeps me off the
streets for a while ;-)

Geoff.