logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Address search issues

From Steve Ratcliffe steve at parabola.me.uk on Tue Mar 29 16:01:20 BST 2011

Hi

> I have further reduced the problematic map down to a tiny testcase. All
> that is left is:
>
> * A single city node providing location information to mkgmap
> * A single road with two nodes
>
> The road is called "Demo Street" and has a ref of "S6". If I build a map
> out of this data file and install it on my Vista via MapSource, search
> does not work. The street shows up three times in the list, as "S6 Demo
> Street", "Demo Street (S6)" and "S6".

Thanks for the very good example!

I haven't forgotten about this although I don't have an answer.  I
initially believed that it was to do with the shield symbol that gets
inserted before the 'S6'. This makes it sort earlier than 'Demo' if it
is counted in the sort, and later if not.  The purpose of the previous
patch I posted was to investigate that, although when it made no
difference that seemed to rule out that reason.

I shall try with this test file more things with this test file.

> None of this makes any sense to me. There are plenty of streets with bot
> a name and a ref all over the world - and these work fine. There is
> something very specific going on here that I do not understand.

Perhaps its because in many countries refs begin with 'A' or 'B' and so
sort early anyway. (Not true in the USA though, so can't be the whole
reason).

It may take a while to figure it out.

Thanks,

..Steve