logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to fix amenity=shelter in the default style?

From SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk on Tue Feb 1 21:19:46 GMT 2011

On 31/01/2011 21:26, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a more suitable symbol for amenity=shelter? It does
> not need to be searchable, and it should not be any more 'visible' than,
> say, 0x2f17 (transit service; used by highway=bus_stop).

Apologies if I'm duplicating discussion that's already been had, as I'm
coming late to this, but how about one of the 0x2f ones that only
renders as a square dot*  with a default name, perhaps?

0x2f|0x10|23  others|personal-service|
0x2f|0x14|23  others|social-service|

So:
amenity=shelter [0x2f14 resolution 23 default_name 'Shelter']

The "dot" or its name won't appear until a relatively high zoom level,
but are searchable in the "all POI" list on an etrex and the
corresponding POI / spell name list on a nuvi.  On an etrex they appear
in the "others" POI search.  The last time that I looked at the default
style "0x2f10" was used for hairdresser and similar, so it might be an
issue if people are using the "others" list seriously.

Cheers,
Andy

* (that I've seen on an etrex vista and a nuvi 265w)