logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Amenity=shelter

From Peter Hendricks beddhist at gmail.com on Sat Jan 22 13:02:44 GMT 2011

On 19/01/2011 20:16, Marko Mäkelä wrote:

> OK, what about this? Replace amenity=shelter with tourism=lean_to in the
> default style. Then, no amenity=shelter would show up in the map. If you
> can suggest a sensible Garmin symbol code for amenity=shelter, we can
> add that as well.

Yes, but aren't you going to shift the problem to a different tag? The
only thing showing on the map as camp ground is a camp ground, i.e.
tourism=camp_site or caravan_site. I'm not ware of Garmin map symbols
for either shelters or lean-tos. I think there is a building symbol and
perhaps a name of 'shelter' could be added, if there is no name, but I
think if it didn't show at all that would be just fine.

>> "Service station" is probably not a good description, as that implies a
>> place run by a petrol company. For the POI I would suggest "Exit
>> Services" if the area doesn't have a name, but others may have better
>> ideas.
>
> What about just Services? That would work a little better in other
> languages than English languages, because the OSM tag is
> highway=services. "Services" can be understandable in more languages
> than "exit", and the "exit" does not seem to add much value in English
> either.

That sounds perfectly good to me.

Regards,
Peter.