logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Amenity=shelter

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Jan 19 13:16:01 GMT 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:32:04AM +0700, Peter Hendricks wrote:
>4 posts in the ground with some kind of overhanging roof. People will
>seek shelter under the roof from either sun or rain. These are found
>all over Thailand on road sides. If it rains you can often even get
>your bike in there, if there aren't too many people. There are no bus
>stops in the country side, but people may wait there for public
>transport. You can't call it a building, as it doesn't have walls.
>
>Whatever you call it, it should not show in the map as a camp ground,
>as even alpine shelters have nothing to do with that.

OK, what about this? Replace amenity=shelter with tourism=lean_to in the
default style. Then, no amenity=shelter would show up in the map. If you
can suggest a sensible Garmin symbol code for amenity=shelter, we can
add that as well.

>"Service station" is probably not a good description, as that implies a
>place run by a petrol company. For the POI I would suggest "Exit
>Services" if the area doesn't have a name, but others may have better
>ideas.

What about just Services? That would work a little better in other
languages than English languages, because the OSM tag is
highway=services. "Services" can be understandable in more languages
than "exit", and the "exit" does not seem to add much value in English
either.

Best regards,

	Marko