logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [POI Categories Mismatch]

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Wed Dec 9 07:35:48 GMT 2009

Hi Stéphane,

> I get some categorie mismatches between an OSM map and the result in Garmin.
> For example, I define a point as a tourist office in JOSM and it appears
> as public toilets in the Garmin map.
> The tourist office doesn't appear in the POI Menu of the Garmin, only on
> the map.
>
> I've read on http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/ about correspondance
> trouble with the POI IDs :
>
> - From the mkgmap source file resources/styles/default/points :
> 	amenity=toilets & tourism=information [0x2f0c resolution 20]
> 	tourism=information [0x2f0c resolution 20]
>
> - On http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types :
> 	I didn't find anything about a tourist office...

On the POI types page, 0x2f0c (search for 0x0c in the section
0x2f (Auto services)) is documented to be listed in the following menus:

Auto Services - All Categories
Auto Services - Rest Area/Tourist Info

When I filled in the Edge 605/705 column on Monday, I also wrote down that
the icon represents a man and woman (as in toilets).

When I select the French menu language in my Edge 705, the
Where To? - Find Places menu is called Où aller ? - Rechercher lieux,
and 0x2f0c appears in the submenu Centers Auto - Aire de repos/information.

I will document the discrepancy at http://www.polkupyoraily.net/osm/,
noting that all tourism informations are displayed with a toilet symbol.
I will also document that embassies will be listed under city halls.

I welcome any other suggestions.  For now, I plan to only document the
oddities in the POI mapping, not things that make sense (such as restaurants).

Best regards,

	Marko