logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Transliteration

From Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi on Thu Oct 22 19:44:42 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:22:23PM +0100, Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> I know I said a few months back that we should also do the same thing
> when --latin1 is supplied, and I suppose now is the time!
>
> We can also improve the range of translitterations using the perl
> script that Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason recently posted.  This lead me to
> find a number of resources that might be useful, including
> http://site.icu-project.org/ which claims to be comprehensive but may
> or may not be useful for our purposes, I've not investegated it.

Note that Garmin's latin1 is not exactly ISO 8859-1 or Microsoft CP1252:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q2/001862.html

One notable deficiency is that curly quotes are not working.  I tried
to convert them to straight ' and " back in May, but failed:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2009q2/001905.html

> > The discussion on the OSM forum starts here (and further down):
> > http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=42175#p42175
>
> The thing I would like to add is that code-page is not particularly
> useful for a general purpose map such as the one you produce.  See for
> example, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mkgmap/i18n where you
> can see a screen shot with Russian characters.  Looks great, but you
> need firmware that supports that character set and even units that you
> buy in the country in question may not.

I came across a download link to Cyrillic firmware some time ago.
"UNOFFICIAL VERSION!!! AS IS!!! NO WARRANTIES!!! NOT FOR SALE!!!" :-)
http://www.gps-forum.ru/cgi-bin/forum/showpost.pl?Board=gpsgeneral&Number=112778

Best regards,

	Marko