logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1189: Remove the priority setting from the GType.

From Torsten Leistikow de_muur at gmx.de on Tue Sep 15 15:34:22 BST 2009

Steve Ratcliffe schrieb:
> I would like to know how people use the 'continue' patch.  It seems to
> me that there would be two cases.
>
> 1. Where the mapper has used the same way for two different things.
> A boundary that goes along a road is a common case.  In this case
> I imagine that you would always want to create both features (assuming
> that you are using them both) and for this to be detected automatically.

I think in most cases you want to have both features in the map, so that
the "continue" setting could be the default behaviour (beside the
backwards compatibility). But there are also some cases, where you want
to suppress one element to have a cleaner map display, e.g. to avoid
overlapping poi icons. I guess that you can achieve this by extending
your style rules, but it is much more simply when you have a "stop" option.

> 2. The styler wants to create two features to give some special effect.
> In those cases it seems right that it should have to be specified in
> the style somehow.  By using the 'continue' keyword or some other means.
> This may be less common now that extended types are implemented.

I do not think, that the extended types really make a difference here
(as far, as i have understood them). I use semi-transparent lines for
displaying different features of a way, which are not related to each
other. E.g. whether it is a bridge or not, whether it is a oneway street
or not, whether it is part of a route or not, whether the access is
allowed or not. If there is a "continue", I just need a single rule for
each feature and a single rule for each road type. If I had to build
such a map without a "continue", the number of required rules and line
types would grow exponentially.

Gruss
Torsten