logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Commit: r1189: Remove the priority setting from the GType.

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at googlemail.com on Mon Sep 14 22:35:19 BST 2009

Steve Ratcliffe wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 14/09/09 15:37, Torsten Leistikow wrote:
>
>> Will your change also allow the generation of multiple garmin elements
>> from a single OSM element? I would guess so, since if we want to run
>> multiple actions than there shouldn't be anything against multiple
>> conversions.
>>

> No it doesn't.  At least not at this stage.  I just want to get
> the stage where there are predictable results from the rules.
>
> I would like to know how people use the 'continue' patch.  It seems to
> me that there would be two cases.

I use it extensively on my maps. The extended types made me even more
dependent on the "continue" patch.

Basic things I always show on top:
bridges, tunnels, routes (mtb, bicycle, hiking, foot), mtb:scale,
mtb:scale:uphill, sac_scale, ....

However also for cases like a way being tagged both highway=footway and
highway=cycleway. or other rare things like boundaries, hedges, fences,
etc...

Theese are too many combinations to be covered by working with extended
styles.

So I am your group 1.

I would like to have the rules working a bit like the continue patch, so
not only in order, but also that commands built upon each other. i.e. if
three rules match the same street (e.g. changes to the name attribute) I
would like all of them applied in order.
As an example take the following: highway=pedestrian, bicycle=no,
ref=1234, name=anywhere

Now in my rules I would have the following (some other rules in between
that don't match)

original name: "anywhere"
1. highway=* {name '${ref} ${name}' | '${ref}' | '${name}' }
resulting name: "1234 anywhere"
2. highway=pedestrian & {name '${name} pdstr' | 'pdstr' }
resulting name: "1234 anywhere pdstr"
3. highway=pedestrian & bicycle=no {name 'xbk ${name}' | 'xbk' }
resulting name "xbk 1234 anywhere pdstr"

In general I don't need any rule to take out the underlying street from
further processing, but of course the finest would be to specify that
rules with [continue] leave the underlying street open for further
processing, while if no [continue] is given they are taken out.

So the following behaviour would be ideal I think:
original name: "anywhere"
1. highway=* {name '${ref} ${name}' | '${ref}' | '${name}' } [continue]
resulting name: "1234 anywhere"

2. highway=pedestrian & {name '${name} pdstr' | 'pdstr' }
resulting name: "1234 anywhere pdstr"

3. highway=pedestrian & bicycle=no {name 'xbk ${name}' | 'xbk' }
rule does not apply anymore, because 2. had no [continue] flag set, and
thereby removed the whole line from further rule processing.

Another interesting idea would be to be able to make passes. so instead
of putting [continue] one would put [run1], [run2], and so on. inside
each "runX" all rules flagged are run in order. A match excludes it
until the next higher run is passed. Then runX+1 run goes over takes the
complete output of the runX. Finally to conclude any rule without [run]
is run on everything in order.