logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] creating a mapsource installer

From maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com on Fri Feb 13 01:59:23 GMT 2009

A bit of background,  I make Garmin maps for the Philippines and
distribute them free as a way to popularize OSM and hopefully recruit
more Filipino mappers.
The usual request for potential users is a mapsource installer many of
them wouldn't bother tinkering with anything other than double-click
exe and upload the map from mapsource.
Personally, I don't use mapsource (OSM have better tools ;))

see response below:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Someoneelse
<lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Please provide tips and tricks in creating a garmin mapsource
>> installer without the cgpmapper.  I want it exclusively on opensource.
>>  Has anyone did this?
>
> Which bit of the process is it that you're stuck on?  I'm guessing that you
> may have used mkgmap to create one or more .IMG files and are looking for a
> way to wrap them together into a "gmapsupp.img" and send it to the device?
I've done this already and it's OK.

>  If so, then I probably can't help as I've always cheated and used the free
> (as in beer but not speech) "sendmap20" on MS Windows from cGPSmapper to
> bundle .img files together and send them.
This is what I do for the mapsource installer in the past.  But I'm
having problems lately.  The map is installed in Mapsource, but some
users reported they can't upload it in the device.

> Also, what Garmin model are you interested in loading the resulting map on?
Mostly nuvis and etrexes

>  Of the handheld GPSs, some have memory cards, some don't, and some are USB
> accessible and some aren't.  If you've got one with a memory card in it and
> turn the USB interface on on the device you should be able to access the
> "Garmin" directory as a bit of mass storage as per:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Mass_Storage_Mode
>
> At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious there are also various
> suggestions here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mkgmap
>
> and it, and its talk page, get updated pretty regularly for new Mkgmap
> features etc.

cheers,
maning