logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] creating a mapsource installer

From Someoneelse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk on Thu Feb 12 13:38:28 GMT 2009

> Please provide tips and tricks in creating a garmin mapsource
> installer without the cgpmapper.  I want it exclusively on opensource.
>  Has anyone did this?

Which bit of the process is it that you're stuck on?  I'm guessing that
you may have used mkgmap to create one or more .IMG files and are
looking for a way to wrap them together into a "gmapsupp.img" and send
it to the device?  If so, then I probably can't help as I've always
cheated and used the free (as in beer but not speech) "sendmap20" on MS
Windows from cGPSmapper to bundle .img files together and send them.

Also, what Garmin model are you interested in loading the resulting map
on?  Of the handheld GPSs, some have memory cards, some don't, and some
are USB accessible and some aren't.  If you've got one with a memory
card in it and turn the USB interface on on the device you should be
able to access the "Garmin" directory as a bit of mass storage as per:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Mass_Storage_Mode

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious there are also various
suggestions here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mkgmap

and it, and its talk page, get updated pretty regularly for new Mkgmap
features etc.