logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] special characters and capital letters

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Wed Dec 13 10:18:21 GMT 2023

Hi Diego

On the issue of case, your build is probably running without --lower-case, so
everything in the .img file is UPPER. The Garmin device then initcaps stuff in a
way of its own choosing.

Use of --lower-case can cause problems and unknowns with the index system where
there are different case representations of the same location. Even then my
Garmin device still chose to change the case sometimes as it displays.

The degree symbol can't be represented in your chosen charset and there are
tables in mkgmap to handle reasonable mappings.

I suggest you use something like ... '${tag:subst:"o=>o"} in your style, where
the first o is unicode degree symbol and the second is whatever you want. You
will need a text editor that handles unicode.

Hope this helps
Ticker