logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Name Capitalisation with Mkgmap

From dfjkman at gmail.com dfjkman at gmail.com on Wed May 4 08:29:54 BST 2022

Hi,

I have noticed that in maps I compile of Zambia some of the place names have
incorrect capitalization. I complied a map using the most basic options with
both splitter and mkgmap to make sure it had nothing to do with any of my
styles or options, the commands were as follows:

java -jar -Xmx2g `

C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Maps\Utils\splitter\splitter.jar `

"C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Maps\Data\zambia-latest.osm.pbf" `

                              --output=pbf `

--output-dir="C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Maps\Temp\Split_files"

Java -jar -Xmx7g `

               C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Maps\Utils\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar `

               --gmapi `

               --output-dir="C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Maps\Temp\Output Map" `

               -c
"C:\Users\Dave\Documents\Maps\Temp\Split_files\template.args"

I have attached  screenshots from BaseCamp to indicate the problem.

The first is just over the border in Malawi, the Mchingi Forest Reserve,
which is shown as McHingi, the 'H' should not be capitalised. There is also
a town named Mchingi not shown and a mountain with the same name not mapped
in OSM.

The second is of a place in Zambia called Shiwa Ng'andu, shown as Shiwa
Ng'Andu, again the 'A' should not be capitalised, the apostrophe here
indicates how the word Ng'andu is pronounced, a glottal stop. There used to
be more examples of the glottal stop apostrophes in Zambian place names such
as the town M'kushi but it seems that this practice is being dropped and the
town name is now officially spelt Mkushi as is the district and river.

In both these cases I have checked and the OSM data is correct, so I am not
sure if it is something hard coded in mkgmap or there is a way to correct it
with options.

Thanks,

Dave