logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway=unclassified & area=yes

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Mon Sep 14 16:26:14 BST 2020

Hi Bernd

Once you start looking you see all sorts of mapping errors - I've been
finding a lot of roads mapped as long closed ways. What seems like a
common fix to this is to create a correctly joined and tagged linear
way and leave the area untouched.

I don't understand what you mean by creating highway=virtual; if
editing OSM you might just as well create a correct road. If defining
style rules just respect or ignore the highway type in conjunction with
area=yes.

I thought about doing what Mike Baggaley does and dropping all but
pedestrian/service but I felt this might lose some important roads so I
only drop "unclassified" because this seems to be the type chosen for
an arbitary commented area. I think some mappers thought "unclassified"
was not a real road and so wouldn't be used for routing, rather than
the formal OSM definition as a "minor public road".

Ticker