logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] highway=unclassified & area=yes

From Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com on Sun Sep 13 10:46:50 BST 2020

On 12/09/2020 18:02, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Yes, look like mapping errors (mapping for the renderer?). Maybe area:highway=* was meant. I would not change the style for them.

I'm not local to these examples but they're clearly mapping for the
renderer.  Looking at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/239754207/history , unclassified makes
no sense as two tertiary roads join the A1 here, not unclassified.

I _am_ familiar with the ones added by a prolific mapper in Lincolnshire
(see e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/378343668/history ) and
examples like that are clearly wrong - "area:highway" describes the
situation there, and should be used instead.

Ticker Berkin said elsewhere in the thread "They are done in a
consistent and systematic way by a number of mappers" - I'd agree that
the small number of mappers doing this in the UK (maybe 2 or 3?) are
consistent and systematic, but unfortunately this mapping is in my
experience consistently wrong*.  Contacting the original mappers is an
excellent idea, but (at least in Lincs, as
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=125259 shows)
may not get a reply.

Best Regards,

Andy

* That's not to say that "highway=unclassified; area=yes" can't ever be
correct - it can; but these examples aren't valid examples of it.