logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] A contribution to the vocabulary based on the mkgmap default style and typ files.

From Randolph J. Herber army.bronze.star at gmail.com on Sat Aug 8 21:42:36 BST 2020

Hi, all!

First, note the attached file is in JSON format and is inherently UTF-8.

Second, the file contains four sub-tables: point, line, polygon, and
language. The first three should be obvious. The language sub-table
contains the languages presented. I used the extant codes for the extant
languages mentioned in the mkgmap web documentation. I arbitrarily
assigned codes for the other languages. Altogether, one hundred three
languages are presented. I used Google Translate and am paying for
Google's services here. Therefore, this is work-for-hire and I may give
them away. Yes, I readily admit some of translations are awkward or even
incorrect. There, I request consideration: I intend no offense and
corrections are welcome. I tended not to change Eurocentric terms to
American terms although in some cases I added the equivalent American
term. I expanded some of the phrases in hopes of improving the machine
translations.

Third, I feel that all urban areas should be treated equivalently and I
note Ticker Berkin's previous comments on that topic, the translations
reflect my preferences. I did incorporate Ticker's most significant
objection which I did find valid. Also, I feel that an logarithmic scale
is appropriate in this application and that 3.2*3.2 is 10.24, which is
about 10. This allows a good range of population values.

Fourth, I am working on incorporating this material into the default
style and typ files, in particular the typ file.

Thank you,
Randolph J. Herber