logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Virtual paths

From ael witwall3 at disroot.org on Tue Jul 28 11:44:52 BST 2020

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:58:30AM +0100, Ticker Berkin wrote:
> road/parking aisles within the car park and maybe there should be a
> policy to do this and then there is no problem.
>
> However, there is a good argument that the correct OSM mapping is to
> show paths exactly as they are and not have to invent and add 'virtual'
> bits of footpath just to keep routing engines working sensibly because
> "mkgmap expects it like that".

Not just mkgmap. It is a general problem. Maybe OSM should introduce
a new relation "connected"? That is one or more ways and/or points could
be members implying that it is possible to navigate (perhaps directly)
between any of them. That would solve many of the problems for all
routers. This idea needs expansion: a tag on the relation would specify
the mode of transport, although I guess this would be mainly foot.
Likewise, some sort of seasonal tag would be useful. But most of those
already exist for ways, so I suppose those could be just be applied to
the relation as well.

Just musing out loud. If it seems sensible, maybe a proposal on the
tagging list?

ael