logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Virtual paths

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Tue Jul 28 13:46:02 BST 2020

ael <witwall3 at disroot.org> writes:

> Not just mkgmap. It is a general problem. Maybe OSM should introduce
> a new relation "connected"? That is one or more ways and/or points could
> be members implying that it is possible to navigate (perhaps directly)
> between any of them. That would solve many of the problems for all
> routers. This idea needs expansion: a tag on the relation would specify
> the mode of transport, although I guess this would be mainly foot.
> Likewise, some sort of seasonal tag would be useful. But most of those
> already exist for ways, so I suppose those could be just be applied to
> the relation as well.

Right now we represent this with ways, and they have well-defined
semantics.  This seems comlicated and would need implementation in many
data consumers.

> Just musing out loud. If it seems sensible, maybe a proposal on the
> tagging list?

Feel free; I don't expect that to go well.

I do think, however, that mkgmap should simply interpret existing OSM
tagggin conventions, guided by analyzing how the broader set of routers
treat things.   (mkgmap+garmin is a router.)