logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

From Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com on Wed Jul 15 21:07:17 BST 2020

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 11:08 AM Fernando Trebien
<fernando.trebien at gmail.com> wrote:
> From Ticker's mention of the is-in function, I found this message [2]
> that mentions mkgmap:urban, which sounds like a more general solution
> without requiring the maxspeed:practical tag too much. But there's no
> mkgmap:urban in the latest code. A definitive solution, though more
> complex, would probably require support for traffic patterns. [3][4]
> I'll look into the specifics of the is-in function now.

Would mapping boundary=urban [1] help solve the problem of assigning a
slower estimated speed to ways within dense urban areas in routing
apps such as mkgmap? [2][3] It looks like an elegant solution to this
problem that would not have the same issues with verifiability that
maxspeed:practical has. It is currently common only in France (see an
example in Rennes [4]) and there is official data available in my area
that could be imported into OSM. [5]

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Durban
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Maxspeed
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits