logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Maps no longer working after firmware upgrade?

From ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com on Fri Nov 16 21:08:04 GMT 2018

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 05:13:32PM +0000, Ticker Berkin wrote:
> couple of thoughts
>
> I've experienced the devices remembering parts of the map structure and
>  being in a bit of a mess when I've used the same map but copied to a
> differently structured SD card. Maybe the newer firmware has a
> different idea of the internal structures. So, suggest you make a new
> map and try that, rather than one the device has seen before.

The map that failed was installed after the firmware upgrade, so the
unit hadn't seen it before.

> I got a new Etrex 30x a few weeks ago and upgraded the firmware from
> 2.50 (as installed on purchase) to the latest: 2.90 (using the garmin
> quickstart windows program). I've not had any problems with mkgmap
> generated maps.

This is an Etrex 20 rather than 20x. Your 2.90 firmware image seems to
have the same time stamp as my 4.80, so the fact that it works on
the Etrex 30x is encouraging. If Garmin were trying to block 3rd party
maps, they would presumably do the same thing on both models.

There seem to be a fair number of posts on recovering bricked units and
reflashing on the web, but most quite old. At least I could get into
pre-boot mode. So eventually I should be able to recover. But I haven't
tried even the simplest option as yet - just trying to install the
previous working 4.70 firmware.

I will not have much spare time for the next several days, so if I don't
reply promptly, that will be the explanation.

Thanks for all the suggestions, so far.

ael