logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] overlapping highways and route restrictions

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Wed Apr 4 09:48:20 BST 2018

For my maps 1) is enough - and warning not even needed. I think it's hard
to find out what the outcome should be.
The case of overlapping ways being part of different route relations on the
other hand I've seen quite often - in that case I think it's best to just
add all route relations to one way, and remove the other one.

The example you found here - I think is quite possible to solve - both
restriction relations are identical - so one way including the restriction
relation can be removed, the route relations copied over. If the
restriction is having different rules - then however I don't think we can
solve it correctly (well an exception is if we have overlapping ways in OSM
which are oneway and opposite to each other - this is a rare case where
overlapping ways are not to be removed I guess).

On 4 April 2018 at 10:39, Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> please help, I just try to make up my mind what mkgmap should do when it
> finds overlapping road segments and
> one (or both) of the overlaps is a part of a (valid) restriction
> relation.  This doesn't happen very often, but it is possible.
>
> The attached example contains these two overlapping ways, and both are
> members of (different) restriction relations:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/48218016
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/48218008
>
> (I did not try what the trunk version produces for this mess)
>
> I see different possibilities:
> 1) ignore route restrictions when removing overlaps, remove those which
> are invalid after overlapping segments were removed and log a warning
> 2) ignore overlaps when the ways are members of restriction relations
> 3) complex: remove overlaps but try to "repair" the restriction
>
> I am currently trying to implement 3) but it looks too complicated for
> such a rare case and in the end we have a clear case of wrong input data
> here.
> What do you think?

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck