logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] overlapping highways and route restrictions

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Apr 4 09:39:19 BST 2018

Hi all,

please help, I just try to make up my mind what mkgmap should do when it finds overlapping road segments and
one (or both) of the overlaps is a part of a (valid) restriction relation.  This doesn't happen very often, but it is possible.

The attached example contains these two overlapping ways, and both are members of (different) restriction relations:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/48218016
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/48218008

(I did not try what the trunk version produces for this mess)

I see different possibilities:
1) ignore route restrictions when removing overlaps, remove those which are invalid after overlapping segments were removed and log a warning
2) ignore overlaps when the ways are members of restriction relations
3) complex: remove overlaps but try to "repair" the restriction

I am currently trying to implement 3) but it looks too complicated for such a rare case and in the end we have a clear case of wrong input data here.
What do you think?