logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] roadspeed in default style

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Mar 12 07:31:30 GMT 2015

Hi Andrzej,

I think that you are right, but I have not thought about this in detail.

I see  that Ralf Kleineisel and Bernd are using the rules from
the default style.
What do you think about Andrzejs version?

Gerd

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 16:43:20 +0100
From: popej at poczta.onet.pl
To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Subject: [mkgmap-dev] roadspeed in default style

Hi,

one of threads reminded me about "roadspeed" include in default style.

As far as I understand, Garmin maps made by mkgmap contain average road
speed, which can be used for calculation of arrival time.

Include "roadspeed" deals with speed limits and convert them into value,
which is then treated as average speed. In my opinion this is wrong
assumption. Better average speed could be estimated from road type.
Speed limit should be used only to limit average speed, for example on
good roads in urban area. I'm using this approach in my maps. I have
attached my alternative for roadspeed.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej