logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] roadspeed in default style

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Thu Mar 12 10:26:33 GMT 2015

I have also often proposed this - already long time ago. It's the most
usable way. maxspeed should only make a road slower, never faster.
Because it would be an illusion to drive 100km/h on a highway=track -
even if it were allowed - to give an extreme example. As long as there
is not tag giving average speed - which could be used to overturn the
actual roadspeed - maxspeed should be like in real life, a limit only -
never allowed to increase the roadspeed - Andrzejs version therefore
makes perfect sense.

On 12.03.2015 08:31, Gerd Petermann wrote:
> Hi Andrzej,
>
> I think that you are right, but I have not thought about this in detail.
>
> I see  that Ralf Kleineisel and Bernd are using the rules from
> the default style.
> What do you think about Andrzejs version?
>
> Gerd
>
> Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 16:43:20 +0100
> From: popej at poczta.onet.pl
> To: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
> Subject: [mkgmap-dev] roadspeed in default style
>
> Hi,
>
> one of threads reminded me about "roadspeed" include in default style.
>
> As far as I understand, Garmin maps made by mkgmap contain average road
> speed, which can be used for calculation of arrival time.
>
> Include "roadspeed" deals with speed limits and convert them into value,
> which is then treated as average speed. In my opinion this is wrong
> assumption. Better average speed could be estimated from road type.
> Speed limit should be used only to limit average speed, for example on
> good roads in urban area. I'm using this approach in my maps. I have
> attached my alternative for roadspeed.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrzej

keep on biking and discovering new trails

Felix
openmtbmap.org & www.velomap.org