logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing Algorithm of Garmin

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Fri Aug 15 18:19:11 BST 2014

When selecting "Minimize Distance", the result conforms with the
expectations: the shortest route is selected by the Garmin Oregon 600.

But with "Minimize Time", things are different. It is not at all the
route with the shortest time.
By setting a "Via Point", I can have it calculating my preferred route,
which is calculated with a shorter time. I.e. despite the title of my
selection, the device did not minimize time.

Example: Travel from Bayreuth to Erlangen.
The Oregon calculates a long route via motorways, 98.4 km, at 67 minutes.
With a Via Point west of Ebermannstadt, the distance is shortened to
64.9 km, but also the time is now 60 minutes only.
The longer distance might be appropriate - but I find the longer time
strange. It is 7 minutes / 10% longer by time!

Travelling along my preferred route, the device has to recalculate
several times, with some more such results.
E.g. from Obernsees, it prefers 86.4 km at 56 minutes over a route of
51.8 km at 46 minutes - 10 minutes or 20% longer!

 From east of Ebermannstadt, it prefers 39.8 km at 30 minutes over 29 km
at 26 minutes.

All the preferred routes use long sections of motorways, and reduce the
sections on roads with low road_class attribute(road_class=2; lower
values are not present in my preferred route).

What are your experiences? How much is the "penalty" for low road_class
values?
Are still other factors important?