logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] How to remove an index from an existing map

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Thu Jul 3 17:16:32 BST 2014

Czesc Andrzej,

thanks for your hints. Unfortunately, it did not work.

Next, I downloaded a fresh extract from Geofabrik and created a fresh
map without an index. I verified that the maps which come with the
device do not have POIs (well, there are some: all of them are military
or civil airports, but that's it). After copying the map into the
device, all the POIs were present.

That means, the device reads the POIs from the tiles (?) or somewhere
else from the map when no index is present.

I tried to add an empty index by creating osmmap.mdx and osmmap_mdr.img
files from a small JOSM download, and then created the gmapsupp with the
"normal" tiles and that index - that did not work.

An Oregon does not have an option to select the map for search (even not
enabled maps are used!), despite its rather high price it seems not to
be a "better" device...

Other ideas?

Kind regards,
Bernhard