logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Sub Descriptions in gmapsupps

From nwillink osm at pinns.co.uk on Thu Jul 3 16:02:31 BST 2014

Hi

On my Oregon 600 Garmin maps show a title and a subtitle in the 'configure
maps' setup

ie

Digital Globe (title)
Demo JNX (subtitle)

So far I've not been able to create 'sub descriptions' using any of the
available commands

However, interestingly , I recently discovered that using Mapinstall I can
create subtitles but its messy.

I've done some testing

1) using the following command I have create a gmapsup and installed the
same map on Basecamp.

--mapname=11223344
--family-id=6088
--country-name=my_country
--series-name="map1"
--family-name="map2"
--overview-mapname="map3"
--description="map4"
--remove-short-arcs
--style-file=styles
--style=june2014
--output-dir=C:\a_upl2vb6\temp
--transparent
--tdbfile
--draw-priority=10
--gmapsupp
C:\Users\me\Desktop\map.osm

2) On the Oregon the gmapsup (mkgmap.img) only produces:

'map4' as a main title

3) installing the map (mapinstall.img) using mapinstall I get

map1 ( as title)
map2 ( as subtitle)

4) looking at both imgs I noticed some interesting points:

a) MPS block 0x46 seems to contain the subtitle (in both imgs)
b) the mapinstall img contains an extra 0x50 block prior to 0x46

I can't as yet  tell whether

a) this block present in tdb files must also be included in a gmapsupp?
b) There is some additional flag that is set?
c) or both?

Have included small osm & gmapsup files in
www.pinns.co.uk/osm/253/gmapsupps.zip

regards

Nick