logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Routing speeds on Oregon 600/400

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Tue Jul 1 21:11:22 BST 2014

Chapter 4.6.5 of the style manual shwos a table with road speeds and its
corresponding "highest speeds".
I created a small test map with roads of ca. 100 km length of all 5
road_types and added speed limits which translate into the 8 different
road_speed codes with the current (v3310) default style.

Following table shows my car navigation results on an Oregon 600 with
current firmware (3.90):
Roadspeed 	Distance 	Time 	Speed 	Simulationspeed
7 	99,9 	00:53:27 	112,14 	254
6 	99,7 	00:56:41 	105,53 	130
5 	100 	01:00 	100,00 	100
4 	99,5 	01:16 	78,55 	90
3 	100 	01:34 	63,83 	70
2 	99,9 	02:03 	48,73 	50
1 	99,6 	03:06 	32,13 	30
0 	100 	06:09 	16,26 	16

The "Speed" is calculated by dividing the distance to destination by the
time to destination;
the "Simulationspeed" is the speed shown on the device when you select
the simulation option.
The speeds do not depend on the road_type value.
The speeds for classes 0, 1, 2, 3, and 7 are multiples of 10mph.
When using a different routing type (e.g. pedestrian), the simulation
speed did not change (i.e. a pedestrian "walking" at 50 km/h...), but
the calculated time to destination changed (i.e. a pedestrian was doing
ca 5 km/h, a cyclist ca. 25 km/h).

With an Oregon 400 with old firmware (4.20), values are slightly different:
Roadspeed 	Distance 	Time 	Speed 	Simulationspeed
7 	99,9 	00:45:20 	132,22 	129
6 	99,7 	00:51:51 	115,37 	113
5 	100 	00:56 	105,63 	103
4 	99,5 	01:07 	89,10 	87
3 	100 	01:32 	65,22 	64
2 	99,9 	02:03 	48,73 	48
1 	99,5 	03:06 	32,10 	32
0 	100 	10:16 	9,74 	9

The main difference is in faster speed for higher road_speed types, but
lower simulation speed.

This means that Garmin uses different speeds for calculating the time to
destination between different device types!

I hope this information helps the creators of maps, and helps to clarify
questions on why this route was taken instead of that...