logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address index glitch?

From Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net on Sun Nov 25 13:51:54 GMT 2012

On 11/24/12 2:55 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 11/24/12 2:48 PM, Carlos Dávila wrote:
>> AFAIK house numbers are not coded in mkgmap, so you can't use them. In
>> the devices you will have to enter a fake house number in some searches
>> though.
>>
> i see. is a house number feature likely to be added at any time in the near
> future?

i should add that 1) i think there is one good reason why it's really
important,
and 2) i am working on a project for which it's an absolute requirement.

it's important because in many cities, you will see streets that are
segmented.
in Albany, NY, Cortland Street is in four distinct segments, and
navigating from
one to the next is in 2 cases hard. Cortland is not the only such street
in Albany,
nor is Albany unique among cities on the east coast of the US. just
being able to
navigate to the center of one segment with no real help selecting the
segment
is not useful.

my specific application is providing accurate GPS maps for use by fire
departments
and companies responding to mutual assistance calls outside of their normal
areas of responsibility. this is actually a major problem with dispatch
processes
in NY, but the GPS maps need house number based routing to be effective.

so here is where i point out that 1) i'm an experienced java developer, and
2) i am between consulting assignments and so have some time.
can i be of help?

richard