logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] address index glitch?

From WanMil wmgcnfg at web.de on Sun Nov 25 14:16:13 GMT 2012

> On 11/24/12 2:55 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
>> On 11/24/12 2:48 PM, Carlos Dávila wrote:
>>> AFAIK house numbers are not coded in mkgmap, so you can't use them. In
>>> the devices you will have to enter a fake house number in some searches
>>> though.
>>>
>> i see. is a house number feature likely to be added at any time in the near
>> future?
>>
> i should add that 1) i think there is one good reason why it's really
> important,
> and 2) i am working on a project for which it's an absolute requirement.
>
> it's important because in many cities, you will see streets that are
> segmented.
> in Albany, NY, Cortland Street is in four distinct segments, and
> navigating from
> one to the next is in 2 cases hard. Cortland is not the only such street
> in Albany,
> nor is Albany unique among cities on the east coast of the US. just
> being able to
> navigate to the center of one segment with no real help selecting the
> segment
> is not useful.
>
> my specific application is providing accurate GPS maps for use by fire
> departments
> and companies responding to mutual assistance calls outside of their normal
> areas of responsibility. this is actually a major problem with dispatch
> processes
> in NY, but the GPS maps need house number based routing to be effective.
>
> so here is where i point out that 1) i'm an experienced java developer, and
> 2) i am between consulting assignments and so have some time.
> can i be of help?
>
> richard

AFAIK at least two tasks must be solved to make housenumber search work:
1) The format of the housenumber part within the garmin img format must
be unscrambled. I think Steve has an idea how it looks like
(http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2012q1/013549.html)

2) As Steve pointed out there must be an algorithm that associates
housenumbers to nodes in roads. This sounds like a good point where you
could help. Do you have some ideas how to realize that?

WanMil