logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] how to make address search aware of the Canadian provinces?

From Ben Konrath ben at bagu.org on Sun May 27 11:00:09 BST 2012

Hi WanMil,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM, WanMil <wmgcnfg at web.de> wrote:

> your approach is correct.
> But I don't know which field are used by the builtin map. So maybe it is
> not possible to have the same functionality with mkgmap generated maps.

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

> Can you please what information/address is displayed if you select a POI
> on your mkgmap generated map. Is the province name displayed? If not
> then you should check the log file if mkgmap really finds your bounds
> directory.

On the mkgmap generated map of Canada, POIs have the city and province
name displayed. If the POI has full address information in OSM, then
the full address is displayed. I think the bounds are being set
correctly.

One thing I noticed is that the built-in map of Canada uses the
province abbreviation whereas the mkgmap generated map uses the full
province name. For instance, the built-in map uses ON for the province
while the map generated with mkmap uses Ontario. Could this somehow be
causing the problem?

In any case, I would like to use the province abbreviations instead of
the full province names. Is there a setting that I can use in mkgmap
to get this behaviour?

Thanks, Ben