logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Problems searching for California addresses

From Carlos Dávila cdavilam at orangecorreo.es on Sun Mar 4 08:18:04 GMT 2012

El 04/03/12 08:27, Bill escribió:
> Henning,
> I appreciate the info on additional options for location-autofill.
>
> Adding "--location-autofill=bounds,is_in" to my command I discovered
> that it will now pull city type information from the .osm file as well
> as from the bounds directory.  Unfortunately there are a crazy amount of
> "hamlets" that are part of the OSM database and are not generally
> referred to as the city in an address.
>
> I found a smaller extract of the sf-bay-area
> (http://metro.teczno.com/#sf-bay-area) which includes Fremont which I am
> most interested in, and manually deleted every node, way and relation
> that was a hamlet.  When I reprocess this and load it into my device, it
> passes all my quick spot checks that have failed before.
>
> I started looking at the default style rules to try and figure out if I
> could see how to disable hamlets, but all I see are admin_level* rules
> and there is no admin_level explicitly set on the hamlets.  Is there a
> place I can look to find this mapping or does "is_in" add city
> information via another mechanism?
>
> Are the style rules the correct way to attack this, or should I be
> looking at pre-filtering the osm file using osmconvert or osmosis?  It
> would seem that if new style rules could be devised then everyone else
> who tries to do this will get the automatic gain.  Filtering would seem
> to just make it work for me.

If you don't want to have hamlets in your map, you can simply remove or
comment the line "place=hamlet [0x0b00 resolution 24]" in your points
style file. If you want to keep hamlets, but don't have them in the
cities index, you can change the type 0x0b00 to a different one not
searchable.