logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [mkgmap-svn] Commit: r1524: Let the background polygon (type 0x4b) cover the whole map area.

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Thu Jan 28 20:24:17 GMT 2010

Hi Steve,

> > Let the background polygon (type 0x4b) cover the whole map area.
>
> I forgot to say when this patch came out: what if the polygon really
> is too big?
>
> Garmin maps may only have one, but they also presumably make sure that
> tiles are not too big, whereas I'm not sure that we do in low feature
> density areas.

As far as I am aware, the limiting factor to the size of the 0x4b poly
(in mkgmap) is the number of bits used to encode the sequence of
points and, correct me if I am wrong, that is dynamically worked out
based on the range of values required.

If it proves to be problematic, let's just revert that commit because
it's not a vital tweak.

Mark