logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing and cycleway=track

From Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de on Fri Jul 24 22:09:08 BST 2009

Mark Burton <markb at ordern.com> wrote:

> so that if the original way doesn't already have the bicycle routing
> defined, it will be disallowed.

Ah, nice!

There is another thing I found looking at the code.

As far as left and right tags are concerned one should create a
one-way cycleway only.

right: cycleway with oneway alongside the original way
left: cycleway with oneway in opposite direction of the original way

*argh* while thinking about this it gets more complicated:

The side of the road where you need to drive will get important in
this case! The above example is only valid for countries where you
drive on the right :(

I did not find a tagging example where one-side cycleways are allowed
to be used either way. I would suppose they should be tagged
cycleway=track

To explain this (also a german rule). One-sided cycleways are usually
permitted to be used in one direction only (the driving side) if the
traffic signs are not explicitly positioned to be readable from both
directions.

I conclude that this left/right stuff is flawed, this should rather
be something like "direction" and "opposite direction" to make it
independent from country specific driving directions.

Finally I think we should not consider these tags for now.

Sven

--
"We just typed make"
(Stephen Lambrigh, Director of Server Product Marketing at Informix