logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] routing and cycleway=track

From Mark Burton markb at ordern.com on Fri Jul 24 21:45:42 BST 2009

Hi Sven,

> Mark Burton <markb at ordern.com> wrote:
>
> > Here's a question: when you have a cycleway lane/track, are bicycles
> > prohibited from using the road or can they use the road if they wish to?
>
> I suppose that this is different in different countries. In Germany
> there is a term called "Radwegebenutzungspflicht" which means that
> you are required to use a cycleway if there is a traffic sign like
> this:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Zeichen_237.svg
>
> There are some cases with cycleways not marked by this sign, but this
> is not the norm.
>
> > I wonder if when we generate a cycleway, we should be adding a
> > bicycle=no to the original way?
>
> As german law is concerned this would be the way to go. It may
> however not be that important, because I don't care which way the
> Garmin actually uses as they are on the same place anyway.

Thanks a lot for that info.

I agree that it doesn't really matter which way gets used as they share
the same nodes but if you take away bicycle access from the road, the
gps will tell you to route via "Foo (cycleway)" rather than "Foo". It
seems to me that would be more consistent and at least in some
countries it would agree with what is the normal behaviour. I'm tempted
to add:

  if(currentWay.getTag("bicycle") == null)
    currentWay.addTag("bicycle", "no");

so that if the original way doesn't already have the bicycle routing
defined, it will be disallowed.

Cheers,

Mark