logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Remove accentiuation

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Jan 2 14:42:42 GMT 2023

Hi Karl,

I am not sure if I understand the problem. If you don't want to use utf8 you may try to change the data in mkgmap\resources\chars\latin1

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von 7770 <7770 at foskan.eu>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 1. Januar 2023 18:37
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] Remove accentiuation

Hi and with wishes of a Happy new year.

When preparing maps i use the setting
--latin1   (same as --code-page=1252)

This is good most of the time, since most language specific characters are
replaced with plain latin characters. Cyrillic is transliterated to latin.

In Ukraininan there is a softening letter (ь), when this is present in a name,
it is transliteradet to ' (apostrophe).

For example the city Львів becomes L'viv. This in turn makes searches more
difficult since one not familar with the language may not know where the
accentuation is placed. As a forigner i would not know if it is Lviv or L'viv.

Is there some better code page to use to start with (still performing
transliteration) or some way to ask mkgmap to remove the apostrophe from the
text?

Regards
Karl